Tue, Jan 10|
The Clubhouse in Catonsville
Celtic Music Class & Session- JANUARY
Join fellow musicians each TUESDAY to explore new tunes, new techniques and new ideas with Celtic Music Class & Session! (No Class on Jan 3)
Time & Location
Jan 10, 6:30 PM – Jan 31, 6:30 PM
The Clubhouse in Catonsville, 10 St Timothys Ln, Catonsville, MD 21228, USA
About the Event
Celtic Music Class & Session- Tuesdays
Tuesday Evenings, Catonsville Clubhouse, 10 St Timothy’s Lane, Catonsville, MD, 21228
January Classes (Jan 10, 17, 24, 31)
- Intermediate and advanced class & session: 7:30-9:30 pm
- Beginner class & “slow session”: 6:30-7:20
Class & Session Membership Cost: $28.50/month or $22.50 for three Tuesdays, or $12.50 for two Tuesdays or $9.50 for a single Tuesday- Choose your ticket!
What is it?
The Celtic Music Class & Session is a group of musicians, dedicated to the music and culture from the Celtic nations, most notably, Ireland and Scotland. We gather weekly, at the Catonsville Clubhouse, and play instrumental dance tunes, on traditional instruments, including violin (fiddle), mandolin, guitar, flute, tin whistle, concertina, accordion, cittern (aka bouzouki), and bodhran (Irish drum). Other stringed and/or treble instruments, such as cello, are included - and welcome
- To hold regular gatherings - sessions - during which every musician plays every tune
- To promote friendships among musicians;
- To musically explore new tunes, new techniques, and new ideas;
- To play a variety of tune types within the genre;
- To improve musicianship;
- To share what we know about Celtic culture, music history, and music theory – as the music often prompts related questions.
What you will get
You’ll benefit from all of the goals, plus you will have access to a large archive of sheet music, including individual tunes, tunes-in-sets, tune books, and a few more things! At this class & session, sheet music is welcome … we actually provide it! The goal is to have every musician play every tune!
The main class & session, 7:30-9:30, is for intermediate and advanced musicians
- you are an intermediate or advanced musician if you are proficient on your instrument and you can sight-read simple melodies in the basic position of your instrument, such as first position on violin.
The early class & session, 6:30-7:20, is a SLOW session for beginning and/or developing musicians … more advanced players are welcome during this time, but the tune tempos will be super slow!
- you are a beginning musician if you can play and maybe even sight read, mostly, but you have to go very slowly … that’s what we’ll be doing during this time!
If you are an absolute beginner, maybe you don’t play at all or you’ve only recently started, contact us and we’ll help you find a teacher, for private lessons, to help you get going and get playing!
Read more about instructor, Drew Vervan
About the Venue: The Clubhouse is a 100-seat, intimate performance space located in the heart of the Catonsville Arts District. Recently acquired, it is owned and operated by the Baltimore County Arts Guild and serves as a center of the arts in Baltimore County. Additional classrooms provide space for classes and workshops.
This program is made possible in part by the Citzens of Baltimore County, the Catonsville Arts District, Baltimore County Arts Guild, and the Maryland State Arts Council
This ticket entitles you to all sessions in the month
This ticket is for one session of the month
This ticket covers admissions to three sessions of the month
This ticket includes TWO sessions during the month